Safety, Cleaning & Storage
Inspect Your Products
- Inspect your products upon receipt to ensure protective material is free of defects.
- Notification of defects is required within 14 days.
- Annual inspections are recommended; tears and holes located within eight inches of the vertical center line are critical and should be evaluated by your Health Physicist department for acceptability.
- Products with tears or holes that exceed your facility’s acceptance criteria should be removed from service.
- Buckles, Velcro, and straps position the products for proper coverage.
- Broken or damaged features that prohibit the correct positioning of the product should be repaired, or the apron removed from service.
- Burlington Medical products do not provide complete user protection — they attenuate X-ray energy to levels expressed in millimeters of lead equivalency.
- Risk and limits of use must be determined by the Radiation Safety Officer (or corresponding authority) at your facility.
- Protection levels for each product are typically 0.25mm, 0.35mm, or 0.50mm (+/- 5%) lead equivalency.
- Each product is provided with permanent labels stating the protection level of the product.
- Protection levels are determined by testing in accordance with ASTM Standard F-2547-06 and/or IEC 61331-1:1994.
Cleaning Your Apron
- Most dirt and water-soluble stains, including blood, body fluids, and barium contrast media can be removed using mild household dishwashing liquid-type soaps/detergents diluted in cold water and a soft bristle brush.
- Rinse with water and hang to dry.
- Quaternary ammonium cleaners/disinfectants (QATS) such as DisCide and Sani Cloth may also be used.
- Avoid using petroleum-based cleaning solvents or solutions containing bleach.
- Test for colorfastness in an inconspicuous area.
- Do not machine wash or machine dry.
Storing Your Apron
When your apron is not in use, hang it by the shoulders, use the straps, or place it on an apron hanger. Avoid folding or stacking aprons, and avoid sitting while wearing an apron. Do not store it in extreme temperatures.